As the year is coming to a close, I wanted to take the time to reflect on the things I learned this year. While 2016 has been a rough year for a lot of people, it was pretty awesome for me. We adopted a second dog, I got a new job that is perfect for me, and I traveled a lot. And since everyone loves lists, here are my top 16 things I learned this year.
1. Leggings are 100% most definitely suitable as pants.
Don’t tell 20 year old me, who for some reason had a vengeance against people wearing leggings as pants. I blame my LuLaRoe addiction for the change of heart.
2. Checking out young adult books at the library gets you some judgmental looks. Checking out books from the kids section *coughSeriesofUnfortunateEventscough*gets even weirder looks.
Of course, the librarian might just be trying to figure out how old I am.
3. I read a lot. Grand total of books for 2016: 150. Not all of them were great literature, I read a lot of Star Wars, but I did read a lot of non-fiction this year and learned a lot.
4. Take risks. I’m an impulsive decision maker, I follow my gut feeling about things. And never once have I regretted doing something I chose impulsively.
5. Dream jobs do exist. I have one now. Don’t let anyone tell you they don’t.
Story time: My Junior year of college we had a speaker from the Career Center come into my professional development class and talk to us about our career goals. I told him I wanted to work for a small, local agency and get to work for some of the business I had known all my life. He looked me dead in the eye and told me that didn’t exist, and that I needed to find a new goal. Now, 3 years later, I’ve found the job I described back then. I had no clue if it existed or not, but it was where I felt pulled and I knew I would make it happen. So take that.
6. Two dogs are better than one.
7. How to drink coffee black. It tastes much better this way, actually.
8. How to actually apply makeup without looking like it’s my first time. Pretty dang proud of my budding cat eye skills too.
9. Goodwill is the best place to shop. I’ve found more name brand things there than I could ever afford without the thrift shop price. My best score? Two pairs of Hunter boots AND a pair of Lululemon pants on the same day.
10. It might actually be possible to travel too much. After being gone 5 out of 6 weekends in the Fall, I definitely started to get homesick and my routines started getting out of whack. I plan to stay home a little more in 2017. Just a little.
11. Yoga makes me feel really really good. I’m not very good at practicing on my own, but luckily I’ve found a great teacher at our Y.
12. A ton of small life hacks. My favorite? Put a paper towel in your salad to keep the lettuce crisp. It works, trust me.
13. Podcasts are actually really interesting. I have to work on actually listening to them (hello long runs), but I have managed to find a few I enjoy this year.
14. Bad books are not worth reading. Nothing bad will happen if you don’t finish it. Life’s too short to waste time reading books you don’t enjoy.
15. I am a hoarder, and I’m learning to let things go. This year I have parted with a lot of items that no longer bring me joy. This is something I hope to continue in 2017, as well as stopping impulse buying and actually thinking about my purchases.
16. If you love life, it loves you right back.
I’ve got some big plans for 2017, so stay tuned for a later post on those!